Friday, June 8, 2007

Sunscreen on my shoulders makes me happy

Sunscreen in my eyes can make me cry...sunscreen on the water looks so *lovely*... Sunscreen almost always makes me high....

I finished my first week of swim lessons, and I'm still alive... more importantly, so are all the wee little darlin's, despite how much they tried letting go of the wall or bouncing off the steps the first few days. My private lesson is kinda boring because we go through everything so fast, but teaching anything more would be a little overload. The little girl is adorable, though... the first day before lessons started, she came into the guard shack and gave me a hug around my legs *aww* ..

My big classes are hectic and harder to maintain order or move between activities. My favorite class has 5 kids all about 4 years old. They aren't too fearful and listen well, and have the communication skills developed well enough to joke around with them more, and also go over rules and such. I've found that questions confuse little kids and should be avoided. On the first day, I asked them to say their name and their favorite color (and checked their name off on the role sheet as we went around the circle). I got a bunch of mumbled responses from all but my small group who all answered coherently. The next day, I asked for their favorite animal. I got things like my name is _ and I like Orange. In my small group, I got "my name is Pink" from one of the girls 2 days in a row after that.

One of the boys is really shy and won't answer the questions, but instead covers his eyes when you try to talk to him in the circle outside of the water. I think part of the reason he covers his eyes is because he know sign language and so it's his way of blocking out communication. He's a sweety and I like him bunches, though. I'm afraid he doesn't like the class at some times - like jumping into the water, he got at the end of the line and sat down. I had to get out of the water and bring him to the edge and hold him there so he didn't run away while I got back in, but as soon as I asked if he was ready, he gave me a big shy happy smile. There is another girl who when I ask her if she wants to do something shakes her head no very solemnly, but as soon as I go to take her off the wall has the prettiest smile.

No comments: