Monday, December 11, 2006

Ant Races

When I was little, I must admit, I was one of those mean children that took pleasure in kicking over ant hills. There was something satisfying in watching the little specks scurry across their mound in a terrifying swarm. If you aren't into ant cruelty, you can watch a TV with its wires crossed. The effects are the same. Or, you can come watch the skies in the evenings with me. We have a startling number of birds performing aerials as the sun disappears behind the buildings. It's actually rather intimidating watching these masses of fowls float through the air in their semi-separated flocks (do you still call it a flock if they are little birds?). Hundreds of them coat the trees and power lines while groups fly back and forth, weaving together and then separate again, darkening the sky with their imitation of TV ant races. Didn't Hitchcock make a movie about this?

No comments: